Sunday 25 January 2009

Racism to end racism?

With recent reports claiming that the police force are going to be reviewing their selection policies after much criticism, the police force has been labelled institutionally racist for a second time. It is said that to reduce racism within the force, police forces were told to recruit black and ethnic minorities over white candidates even if the candidates had the same qualifications. I myself applied for a job in the South Gloucestershire constabulary (Gloucestershire has admitted to rejecting more than 100 white candidates for simply being white) in my opinion this is the completely wrong way to go about what they have set out to achieve, they have used racism to eradicate racism from the police force. Admittedly they are reviewing this policy but in my eyes that doesn’t excuse how rashly they have chosen their selection policies.
And I just hope future recruits will perhaps have a fairer assessment than I had myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment